Anyway, rubbish aside, since the stressful part is out of the way, just going to repost what I said on Facebook over here:
CS3216 presentation went better than expected. but style-wise seems to pale in comparison with the rest of the groups... not class enough.Well, mostly. Cause we have this blog assignment to do. So here goes.
And so 2nd assignment is over. mostly.
----
The app I'm supposed to blog about is called "Color", an app that is supposed to "short-cut" the record, download, upload and publish/share sequence. Will not talk about presentation effectiveness or such here, since I can't remember anything about the actual presentation style.
Some of the important things about the app and the sharing that I remember from the presentation:
- The app is broadcasts its recorded videos to friends, with 1 minute limitation.
This seems like a reasonable limitation, since storage isn't free. And as mentioned during the presentation, we need restrictions. This is like bandwidth caps on mobile broadband; if not we'll end up with the tragedy of the commons. - The app can probably be built with technologies that the group suggests, which include H-264 video and AAC audio encoding.
Can't comment much, but I think these are the current standards. It's good for the app to use these encoding standards to ensure good compatibility right now, and in the short-term future. I do wonder if the phone is actually able to implement the encoding though (think iPhone has dedicated cores for graphics? that may help there). - The app has a clean and uncluttered UI that is usable and direct.
Of course, UI design is very important. If the system is oh-so-awesome but the UI is very rubbishy, then no one will use it. People who get into the app will get frustrated easily I guess? - Also, the potential improvements that the group suggested seemed like a natural extension of the app.
Other than the 1 minute restriction. We do have to set a constraint on the maximum amount of the data that we can transmit, to avoid degradation of the service that we provide. Video effects and simple editing (eg trim and crop) may be useful to allow the user to post-process the video before it's updated.
The app seems to take a measured direction to its limitations, for example the 1 minute limitation is probably in response to two effects - one is the service capacity, and another is the fact that users' attention spans are rather short in this social age. However, the 1 minute restriction may be able to be extended to a longer time (eg 5 minutes), and with proper post-processing tools (like crop and resize) it can re-export and upload the clipped video.
From my understanding of mobile apps (I don't have a smartphone), this app is rather similar to apps such as Instagram in spirit, which seems to implement a similar cycle: capture, add effects, upload and share. I believe that the functionality to add effects would be a very natural extension of the app.
----
This session is actually very interesting. You get to see all sorts of awesome apps, and also how other groups design their slides. Good learning opportunity for the design-crippled? Only if I wasn't so nervous...
Hi Jin Guan, Thanks for reviewing our group`s app. For the 1 min limitation, first I think they want to balance to cost and usage. Extending the limitation need to upgrade the server to store more videos but most of interesting stuff may be less than 1 min. So I think it is a good choice to make a common limitation for broadcasting. Then this can also bring some commercial benefit. We surpose users can pay some money to get longer limitation and good connection channel for their personal use. I really agree that it can improved in many aspects like adding effect and edit for video. Thanks -- Han Yu
ReplyDeleteI would have to disagree with your comments about filters and video editing being natural extensions to Color. If you were to look at it from an Instagram point of view, yes indeed these feature do feel like the next feature set that Color should adopt but you cannot simply port over features that a picture application adopts because video is essentially 25 pictures PER SECOND. I've have some experience with video editing and the amount of video processing power you would need to apply filters onto video is pretty substantial. Even on a computer, on the fly rendering isn't very smooth and fully rendering out a video takes quite a bit of time. I can only imagine how long a mobile device would take. A tablet perhaps but certainly not a phone. Moreover, Color's core competency is its live streaming feature which is practically impossible to couple with the use of filters. Even for simple video editing, there is hardly enough screen space to fit in the video itself on a phone so to fit UI elements to support functions like cropping and trimming might be a challenge. In a perfect universe, perhaps these features could serve the app better but I personally believe the feasibility of these features (or rather lack thereof) would be an obstacle too difficult to overcome given current technology standards
ReplyDeleteFilters may not be really that possible i guess, now that you say so. At this point in time, i think phones can't do the heavy lifting for video processing? (i've not much idea about smartphones, still using my unbreakable nokia :D) Who knows, maybe 2 or 3 years down the road we can have those things.
ReplyDeleteBut naturally for the user (non-tech-inclined), especially those who use instagram and similar apps, they would come to expect simple video effects from such apps. After all, these apps probably seem the same to the user, in terms of the "snap/record -> download -> upload -> publish" sequence. They essentially do very similar things, so how much difference would it be to the end-user? The technological difficulties that we face probably will be swept aside, and the response will be "but you're programmers! surely you can make it work!"
And about effects too, my computer webcam has some software that can do some cool effects (like the classic crow, ... and other silly things) live or with <1 sec delay. Probably this may be acceptable for almost "live streaming"... If a computer from 3 years ago can do it, probably today's phones can do it too (I think the current iPhone probably has better graphics than my laptop).
Probably the first app that finds a way to include effects (no idea if there's one) would take the pie if it's done well.
My Netbook can also do some effects fast (overlay something over), but not the instagram type (colour filters etc.)
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I've been thinking about the 1 minute thing, and was wondering whether it would be possible for them to capitalize on it. Like a kind of Pecha Kucha for videos. Marketing it in this direction might make them different from other service providers perhaps. But haha, 1 minute is a lot actually.
Interesting suggestion by Yuler (aka Yuling?), that 1 minute thingy could be use as a platform to encourage any 1-minute pitch for any stuff - interviews, promotion, seeking venture capital.
ReplyDeleteJin Guan, as for making a pitch, it is soooo.. natural to be nervous, hence you are not alone.
When there's a chance to speak in a class, when I get nervious (which means most of the time), I try to think of how it was quoted that Margaret Thatcher (the Iron Lady, great orator) said this "I have butterflies in the stomach, each time I have to speak in front of the Parliament."
Haha yes yuler == yuling!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jim, the 1 min concept seems to be very popular I guess! There's this "elevator pitch" too where you're supposed tell someone something + make him interested all in the time the elevator takes to climb the building...
We can try practicing this for our future presentations, like try to convince our friends that they need something (hahah evil) within one minute... Good idea...
The thing for me about being nervous is more of a confidence issue. If I'm rather sure that no one knows better than me in the class, or if I'm not doubting my stuff, then I'll be quite good. But usually I don't trust MY OWN presentations or the things I'm going to say haha. And that often leads to better performance in Q&A instead of the presentation itself.
I learnt something new from Junwei: There's supposed to be a 6 word maximum on each Pechakucha slide.
ReplyDeleteI'll remember that for next year. :p